Agoda Hotels

Friday 17 June 2016

Radisson Blu and Cebu City


Last week, I found myself back in Cebu, almost a full year since my last visit, when I went swimming with the whale sharks; an amazing experience! On this occasion, I returned to the Radisson Blu and spent 6 very enjoyable nights there, taking in as much as I could from what was on offer.

The location of the Radisson Blu is probably not hugely ideal for tourists, as it is right near the port rather than in the city centre. However, once inside the hotel and grounds, the exterior effectively melts away and you can really disconnect from the industrial surrounds. After a very warm welcome on check-in, I settled into my room which was plenty spacious; ample walking space to move around, a large bed and well-appointed office space in the corner. My home for the next six nights was feeling very comfortable.


My room in Radisson Blu Cebu.


My room in Radisson Blu Cebu.

My room in Radisson Blu Cebu.

In the evening, I wandered down to Feria, the lobby restaurant just next to reception, and sampled the buffet dinner. Starting from 18:30 every evening, there is a wide range of options to whet your appetite. It's not cheap, but it is inside the Radisson, so...! I don't generally go for buffets and all-you-can-eats, simply because I don't trust myself! I left Feria feeling very sated, and like I needed to head to the gym for the next 24 hours or so.


Feria Restaurant in Radisson Blu.

Luckily, the Radisson Blu does have a nicely equipped gym at the basement level. I pushed myself to be a good traveller and head in there for a run and some basic free weights over the weekend. Luckily I had my headphones with me, because the only downside to the gym is probably the playlist of music... a bit too much of the Beebs for my liking!

In the heat of the day on Saturday, I decided to take a walk to some local sights. Google Maps had informed me that there were some tourist spots about 3km from my hotel, so I lathered on the sunscreen and set out. This was a move that various locals found quite funny when I told them later - walking 3km? Unthinkable! To be honest, it wasn't a great walk. The sun was beaming down, and as I trudged along the often-broken-and-littered-or-non-existent footpath, I worked up quite a sweat. Some of the houses along the way are a bit ramshackle, too, and the locals looked a little confused to see a foreigner walking through. None of them bothered me, but I did feel like I was being watched quite a bit. So, word to the wise, probably better to take a taxi!

A visit to Fort San Pedro, Cebu.

I arrived to the Plaza Independencia, where two boys aged around 5 and 8 tried to befriend me in hopes of getting some money. The older one asked me my name, to which I replied "Why?"; he then thought my name was Why and didn't really know how to proceed with the conversation. The younger one just said "Hey, gimme 5 (pesos), I hungry." I think he had practiced that line a few times. They eventually lost interest and left me alone, and I walked up to the entrance of Fort San Pedro.

Fort San Pedro.

Fort San Pedro.

A small, but interesting structure, Fort San Pedro was first constructed of wood when Miguel Lopez de Legazpi arrived in the area. Later rebuilt out of stone to repel Muslim raiders, the current fort has stood in this location since the 1730s and is the oldest fort of its kind in the country. Entrance will cost you 30 pesos, but that comes with a free guided tour. The kid who took me around spoke quickly, but he was a wealth of knowledge. The tour only takes about 10-15 minutes, and then you can wander around and enjoy the fort's interior. Interestingly, it used to stand right on the water's edge, but reclamation to build the port has now moved it about 50m inland.


A history in pictures.

Sculptures of the Spanish fleet, made of rolled up newspapers.

From the Fort, I walked the short distance to Magellan's Cross. Originally planted in this location by Magellan in the 1500s, the original cross is now encased in a secondary exterior to protect it from eroding further. Covered by a small dome with intricate artwork on the ceiling, it's almost like a miniature Sistine Chapel.


Magellan's Cross, Cebu.

Struggling in the heat at Magellan's Cross, Cebu!

Just off to the side of the Cross, there seemed to be a steady stream of people going in and out of a small alcove. I had only noted the Fort and Cross to visit, so I wasn't sure what else was nearby. Heading through, I found myself outside the Basilica del Santo Niño. Home to the statue depicting the child Jesus which Magellan gave to the wife of Rajah Humabon in the 1500s, it was found in a burnt wooden box after the village was razed. The present building dates from the 1700s and has housed the Santo Niño ever since. If you want to lay eyes upon the statue, you will be in for a wait; he's a local celebrity! I didn't fancy the long line, so I soaked up the atmosphere and then headed on my way.


Basilica del Santo Niño.

The line up to see the Santo Niño.

The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing around the hotel; a little gym, a little room service, a little swimming. Generally getting as much as I could from all that the Radisson has to offer. For other food options, Feria also offers all day a la carte, while outside by the pool, the Pool Bar offers "light snack" - some of which are large meals - through until 6pm before changing over the the Urban restaurant menu, which is a little fancier. Here's a selection of options available.


A beast of a burger.

Radisson Blu club sandwich.

Chicken and Pork Adobo.

A traditional Filipino dessert.

Urban Restaurant's chicken dish.

Spring rolls at Feria.

A spot of Thai at Feria.

Fish and chips down by the pool.

On Thursday morning, I enjoyed one last buffet breakfast before packing up my suitcase and heading for the airport - next stop: 2 nights in Manila, en route to home.


The extensive buffet of Feria.

No comments:

Post a Comment