Agoda Hotels

Monday 10 August 2015

My First Little Taste of the United States

Late in 2011, I was on a job in Christchurch, New Zealand (I promise I will blog about the Kiwis later!). After a day of work, my boss called me and asked me if I would be okay to take on a quick trip to the USA. I'd never set foot on American soil, and this would turn out to be first of about 5 trips over the next 12 months, so here is a bit about my first experience over the other side of the Pacific.

 

The first major city in the continental United States that I visited was Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Okay, technically, it was Somerset, PA, but I flew into Pittsburgh. We had a job coming up in the coming months there, and the customer wanted me to drop in and check that they were on schedule.

I'd been in snow before - in late 2005, my brother and I travelled around Japan for 5 weeks. But since then, I don't think I saw any. As an Australian, snow is a bit of a novelty to me. We really only have one or two locations that get snow, and from what I'm told, it's not the fun, soft and fluffy kind. Of course, those that live in snow and have done so for many years tend to have a slightly less positive opinion of the stuff! But for me, it was kind cool! Of course, it was also cool in the temperature sense. Another thing we don't ever get in Australia are sub-zero temperatures. Not so in December in Pennsylvania. I don't recall exactly how old it was, but it was certainly a noticeable chill to my bones!

The view shown left, and the one above were both taken from my accommodation in Somerset. On this occasion, I stayed at the Comfort Inn, which was pleasant. The snow coverage was also very light on this trip. When I returned in January, it was much thicker and colder - though, I was informed, still a very mild winter compared to normal. Maybe nature was looking after this poor Australian who isn't used to being frozen on a daily basis? But whatever the case, I got through. After my brief stopover in Pennsylvania (only to return multiple times over the coming year), I headed south to Atlanta. I had to meet up with our local agent for a briefing on the work we do in the USA (different countries, different laws etc). I only over-nighted here before shipping out west to Utah.

About 2 hours south of Salt Lake City, I found myself in a town called Price. Not far from here was where another customer was based. I had a 3-day job to complete on site before continuing west to the coast and back over the Pacific, home for the holidays. The photo to the left was taken en route, somewhere around Spanish Fork, I think. The incredible mountain scenery in this part of the world is definitely something everyone must go to see. On a beautifully clear winter's day, like the one shown, the views are just breathtaking. Back then, I was just pottering around with a point-and-shoot digital camera. I would very much like to go back with the SLR and capture some better shots of it!

The other cool thing about Utah is that it is (or rather, was) rife with dinosaurs. Price, UT is home to the very nicely equipped Utah State University Eastern Prehistoric Museum. Going back to my primary school days, I was a budding paleontologist; I collected dinosaur magazines, I lived and breathed dinosaur facts... this petered off as I grew older (possibly after realising the limited income one can earn from being a paleontologist!). However, the love and interest in dinosaurs and historical science never died. But the USU Museum doesn't only host dinosaur fossils. It also has history about the Native Americans and Prehistoric humanoids of this part of the world. Definitely worth a visit if you are into this kind of thing!


Just a small taste, it was - a nibble, if you will. But this first visit to the USA definitely stirred something in me. I was definitely keen to go back and see some more. As I mentioned, that very wish came true over the coming year. Even now, I have only seen a very small fraction of what the USA has to offer, and I hope to return there one day very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment