Agoda Hotels

Thursday 6 August 2015

Tea is Good for the Soul

Okay, so this post isn't really about travelling. But it's inspired by things learnt from travelling! One of my customers in Taiwan always offer me Oolong tea when we sit for a meeting. On a recent visit, the boss was nice enough to give me 2 bags of his favourite leaves. Complete with a teapot and cups from my girlfriend, I have been getting into a nightly pot or two. For those who don't frequent their teapot, I thought a quick guide on how to brew a tasty Asian tea would be a nice addition to my blog.


Most Australians do enjoy a good cuppa; some go for coffee, others for tea, and others will do a bit of both. So the art of making tea is nothing new for us. But what is a little different than the norm is making the tea with loose leaves. The convenience of a teabag has made us a bit lazy.

I was never a habitual tea drinker; I had tried various teabag teas over the years, and they were all fine, but nothing mind-blowing. But the tea offered to me in various parts of Asia had a different element to it, and it opened my eyes somewhat to what I had been missing.

Thanks to my frequent trips and, of course, my other-half, I picked up some tips on how to brew with loose leaf. Depending on the type of tea, the brewing time will vary, but it is generally a lot shorter than I would have expected.

I start with a roughly level spoon of leaves - this spoon came with my teapot for exactly this purpose. I haven't checked, but I expect it's about equivalent to a tablespoon. Of course, then we need some boiled water. My teapot is about 200mL in volume, so that's important to note for the amount of tea to add.

Fill the pot up to the top, and then put the lid back on. For Oolong tea, I am told the correct brewing time is around 45 seconds. I have been brewing mine for anywhere between that and 1 minute 30 seconds. The pot made while taking these photos was probably around the latter; the result was a bit more of a bitter flavour to the tea, so it's important not to brew for too long.

Whatever time you choose to go with, it's important to pour all of the tea out, not just what you will drink. If you're using small cups like in the photo below, pour the rest into a glass or thermos to stop it from brewing longer.

But it all comes down to personal preference and practice; you brew your tea the way you like it, and I do mine the way I like it. At the end of the day, though, the result is a warm, relaxing cup that I find puts a nice cap on the day. It's also quite a bit healthier to sit in front of the TV with a teapot than it is to do so with a few beers of whisk(e)ys... which I am also fond of doing!

The beauty is that your one spoon of leaves doesn't only mean one pot of tea. Once you have quaffed your first pot, you can simply add water to the leaves again, brew, pour and enjoy!

So if you are a fan of a nightly tea, but usually opt for a teabag, I urge you to consider loose leaves instead. The flavour is more intense, and - especially with Oolong tea - you will feel very relaxed and ready to take on the world for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment